Faculty of AdventHealth Medical Education
The residency program at AdventHeath Orlando at East Orlando is a resource-based, competency-driven, assessment-validated program which is hospital-based and consists of postgraduate training in both inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical patient management. The program provides training resources that facilitate the resident’s sequential and progressive achievement of specific competencies. While significant structuring of the path towards achieving these goals is necessary, residents are allowed to tailor their education to meet their specific interests.
- Diagnostic Modalities
- Medical Imaging: - 1 block
- Through participation in both the hospital and outpatient setting, the resident will gain direct exposure to and participation in plain radiography, fluoroscopy, nuclear medicine, MRI, CT, ultrasonography and vascular imaging.
- Pathology - : 1 block
- In the hospital environment, the resident will participate in laboratory studies in hematology, serology/immunology, toxicology, blood chemistries, drug screens, coagulations studies, blood gases, synovial fluid analysis, urinalysis, microbiology and anatomic and cellular pathology.
- Medical Imaging: - 1 block
- Medicine and Medical Subspecialties
- Medicine: - 1 block
- Includes both hospital-based and outpatient medical evaluation and management of patients. This rotation is supervised by the Family Medicine Residency Program, and residents will be expected to perform comprehensive medical histories and physical examinations, as well as formulate appropriate differential diagnoses, become proficient at ordering and interpreting diagnostic studies and formulating appropriate management plans.
- Behavioral Science: - 1 block
- The resident will become more knowledgeable and gain a better understanding of the psychosociospiritual aspects of health care delivery including the implications of prevention and wellness.
- Dermatology: - 1 block
- The resident will participate in the diagnosis and treatment of general dermatological conditions primarily in the office setting.
- Emergency Medicine: - 1 block
- Resident will participate in the evaluation and management of the emergent patient in the hospital setting. Special emphasis will be placed on disorders of the lower extremity. In addition to the Emergency Medicine rotation, each resident will be on call for foot and ankle trauma 26 weeks per year.
- Infectious Disease/Hyperbaric Medicine: - 1 block
- The resident will become familiar with the care and management of the infected patient, including performance of a comprehensive history and physical examination ordering and interpretation of diagnostic studies. The resident will also become familiar with the care and management of chronic wound patients and the hyperbaric chamber.
- Neurology: - 1 block
- The resident will participate in the evaluation and management of neurological disorders with specific focus on the pathogenesis of neurological disorders with lower extremity manifestations.
- Podiatric Medicine: - 1 block
- The resident will be expected to participate in the care of the podiatric patient in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. Evaluation and management of podiatric patients in the inpatient setting will include performing and interpreting the findings of a thorough problem focused history and physical examination, performing and interpreting appropriate diagnostic studies and formulating an appropriate diagnosis and treatment plan. Residents will also be expected to attend to patients in the outpatient clinic. Evaluation and management of patients in the faculty office setting will also be expected. This rotation is ongoing throughout the entire residency period
- General Surgery: - 1 block
- The resident will directly participate in the care and management of the surgical patient including the preoperative and postoperative period. Emphasis will be placed on enhancing surgical skills and the understanding of surgical procedures and principles.
- Orthopedic Surgery: - 1 block
- The resident will directly participate in the care and management of the general orthopedic patient. This includes management of orthopedic trauma, joint replacement and sports related surgeries. Understanding of preoperative and postoperative care is included.
- Plastic Surgery: - 1 block
- The resident will become familiar with the plastic surgical aspects of the acute and chronic trauma patient as well as care and management of the cosmetic surgical patient and directly participate in the care of these patients.
- Vascular Surgery: - 1 block
- The resident will participate in the care of the vascularly compromised patient including recognizing and diagnosing vascular disease, formulating a treatment plan and actively participating in vascular surgical cases and rounds.
- Podiatric Surgery: - 1 block
- The resident will directly participate in surgical treatment of lower extremity pathology. Training experiences emphasize evaluation, diagnosis, selection of appropriate treatment and avoidance of complications, structured in a manner to achieve the competencies identified by the COPME.
- Medicine: - 1 block
We’ll Take Care of You
PGY-1 residents receive a 5-day leave to attend conferences and expenses reimbursed up to $500.
PGY-2 residents receive a 5-day leave to attend conferences and expenses reimbursed up to $800.
PGY-3 residents receive a 5-day leave to attend conferences and expenses reimbursed up to $1300.
Salaries (Effective Academic Year 2020/2021):
PGY 1 - $54,080.00
PGY 2 - $56,139.20
PGY 3 - $58,177.60
Florida State Medical License and DEA license fees. The cost of certification classes, such as ACLS, are covered as necessary for meeting program requirements.
For more information on the many benefits offered across all programs, click here.
Electronic Medical Record System
Documentation of patient care is done using an “Electronic Medical Record” or EMR called EPIC. EpicCare© is the most successful Ambulatory EMR in the healthcare IT industry, with proven features that streamline care processes, improve community-wide health and strengthen the patient-provider relationship. EpicCare© replaces the traditional paper chart, freeing users from the hassles associated with incomplete or missing information, and ensuring that care is well coordinated when patients are referred to different providers for treatment.
Efficient workflows and an intuitive user interface encourage physician adoption and contribute to ongoing success. EpicCare© is inherently flexible, accommodating specialty providers and facilities, while ensuring that clinical information is stored in a seamless ambulatory care record. An active clinical decision support system works at every point of the care process to minimize medical errors, encourage formulary compliance, ensure that patients receive recommended health maintenance and disease management services, and allow for the accurate and effective evaluation of practice data and outcomes.