Howard Finkelstein, DPM, FACFAS is a Faculty Member of the AdventHealth East Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Residency with Reconstructive Rearfoot/Ankle Surgery.
Dr. Howard Finkelstein started his professional career not as a pre-med major but with the goal of becoming an educator. Growing up he had the opportunity to assist his mother who worked in special education. At a young age he also worked in his father's tailor shop learning the art and craft of sewing. Little did he know that both experiences would play a vital role in his future.
While in his second year of college, a biology professor had a great deal of influence on him and recommended that he follow a career in the sciences. With this came the suggestion that he volunteer at a large teaching hospital in Miami. It was during these volunteer rotations at the hospital, and exposure to the various facets of medicine, that he decided to pursue a career in physical therapy. He graduated with a degree in physical therapy from Florida International University.
During his employment as a physical. therapist, Dr. Finkelstein began to fully appreciate the miracle of the human body and what it is capable of. The profession and experience of working with his patients in rehabilitation only proved to reinforce that belief. It was while working as a physical therapist, that Dr. Finkelstein discovered the practice of podiatric medicine. Once again, he was influenced by a mentor, a podiatric physician, who invited him to his office to observe his practice. This is when Dr. Finkelstein felt that he had found his final career destination. He graduated from the Illinois College of Podiatric Medicine in Chicago with his doctorate in podiatric medicine. He then completed a residency at AdventHealth Orlando (formerly named Florida Hospital East Orlando).
For the past 30 years, Dr. Howard Finkelstein has had the privilege of treating patients in our community. He gets to know them, learn from them, and help them to get healthy as quickly and safely as possible. That is not only his personal goal, but the goal of Foot and Ankle Associates of Florida as well.
Dr. Howard Finkelstein continues to be involved with the teaching staff and contributes to both the Podiatric Surgery and Family Practice Residency Training Programs at Florida Hospital. He has been Externship Director for Podiatry at Florida Hospital for the past 25 years. Dr. Finkelstein has been appointed as an adjunct volunteer faculty at several schools of podiatric medicine. He has also served in the CME faculty development for Florida Hospital Medical Center from 2004 to 2006.
Education and Training:
- BS PT, Florida International University, School of Physical Therapy (remains current with licensure).
- AS, Miami Dade Community College.
- Medical School: Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, Illinois College of Podiatric Medicine.
- Residency Program: Podiatric Surgical Residency Program - AdventHealth Orlando, Orlando FL.
- Board Certified: American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery.
- Podiatric Residency Review Board, Florida Hospital (1989 — Current).
- Florida Hospital Wound Clinic (1987 —1989).
- Florida Podiatric Medical Association, Physical Therapy Guidelines (1987 —1990).
- Secretary, Department of Podiatric Medicine, Florida Hospital (1987 — 1990).
- Teaching Staff, Florida Hospital Podiatric Residency Program.
- Externship Director, Florida Hospital Podiatric Medical Education Program.
- Teaching Staff, Florida Hospital Family Practice Residency Program.
- Adjunct Clinical Faculty, Barry University, School of Podiatric Medicine; Des Moines University, College of Podiatric Medicine; Kent State University, School of Podiatric Medicine; Dr. William M. School College of Podiatric Medicine at Rosalind Franklin University.
- • AdventHealth – formerly named Florida Hospital Healthcare System (all locations).
- Diplomat American Board of Podiatric Medicine.
- Fellow American College of Podiatric Medicine.
- State of Florida Department of Professional Regulation DPM.
- State of Illinois Department of Professional Regulation DPM.
- State of Florida Department of Professional Regulation RPT.
- Book, Basic Concepts of Physical Therapy and Podiatric Medicine (All proceeds donated to the Dr. William M. School College of Podiatric Medicine Student Scholarship Program.
- American Board of Podiatry Surgery.
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
Community Interest/ Hobbies:
When not in the office, Dr. Finkelstein enjoys spending time with his family. A former marathon runner, he remains active today by biking, walking, and running. He loves to read and still enjoys watching baseball, cheering for his favorite team, the New York Yankees and even rooting for the Chicago Cubs (who he believes will one day take it all the way and win the World's Series).