Putting the Heart in Heart Health
For matters of the heart, AdventHealth Ottawa, formerly Ransom Memorial Health, is here for you. With a long-standing reputation as a center of excellence for cardiac and vascular care, we bring access to full-time, comprehensive cardiovascular services to Ottawa, Kansas.
As part of our exceptional and convenient heart care, we offer complete diagnostic and interventional cardiology and vascular services, including full-time cardiologist coverage. Our heart and vascular care team includes highly specialized, board-certified cardiologists.
Comprehensive Cardiovascular Services, Close to Home
- Diagnostic and Interventional Cardiology
Whether you’re having symptoms of a potential heart problem, or need medical intervention to get your heart health back on track, we can help. AdventHealth Ottawa, formerly Ransom Memorial Health, offers a full range of non-invasive cardiovascular imaging to help determine the exact cause of your symptoms and find potential issues before they become a serious problem. These tests include:
- 64-slice CT scan and angiography
- Exercise stress testing
- Cardiopulmonary Care
Our cardiopulmonary care specialists combine the best of respiratory care and cardiac care to keep your lungs and heart healthy. At our pulmonary clinic in Ottawa, we offer specialized cardiopulmonary function testing, lung function testing and treatment for all types of lung diseases. We also offer a sleep disorders laboratory and smoking cessation program.
- Nuclear Cardiology
Sometimes, the best way to view the inside of your heart is through nuclear imaging. With a variety of advanced, non-invasive cardiovascular imaging studies — including myocardial perfusion imaging (nuclear stress tests) — the heart care experts at AdventHealth Ottawa can evaluate your heart function and detect coronary artery disease.
- Heart Failure Clinic
Having heart disease shouldn’t mean giving up all the things you love. Our heart care team is here to help you manage your heart condition and achieve whatever you have in your sights.
- Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
After heart surgery, we’re here to support you with a personalized care plan that includes education, exercise, counseling and therapy. Our nationally certified heart care program is led by experts all cheering you on as you navigate the road to recovery.
Cardiac Rehab Program
- What is Cardiac Rehab?
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at AdventHealth Ottawa is a medically supervised program designed to improve cardiovascular health in persons whose heart function is impaired. Patients enrolled in the program are given support and guidance in achieving cardiovascular fitness through exercise and nutrition. The goals of the program are:
- To increase exercise tolerance and overall strength, stamina and flexibility
- To decrease anxiety and enhance self-confidence
- To make lifestyle changes which help control cardiac risk factors (obesity, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol levels, smoking, and stress)
- To gain confidence and a sense of security needed to resume normal activities.
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is flexible, allowing patients to follow an exercise plan tailored to their capabilities and requirements.
- How does the Program Work?
Participants in the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program receive one-on-one instruction and encouragement from Program Staff. Areas that are covered include:
- Reducing the potential of a new heart attack through risk factor modification
- Recognizing heart disease signs and symptoms, and when to seek medical treatment
- Recovering from heart disease
- Beginning a personalized exercise program that is effective, safe, and appropriate for your health, age, and physical ability
- Understanding your cardiac medications
- Dietary education
- Lowering your cholesterol through good nutrition and physical activity
- Progressing your physical activity at work and leisure
- Starting a home exercise program and purchasing exercise equipment
- Preparing for your return to work.
- Who can Participate in the Program?
To become eligible for the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, a patient should obtain authorization from his or her personal physician.
The program is ideally suited to persons who have undergone a heart attack, cardiovascular bypass surgery, angioplasty or other major heart conditions within the past 12 months.
A physician advisor directs the program; specially trained registered nurses provide patient education and assist during exercise sessions. The staff will evaluate the patient’s progress, overall strength and flexibility to aid in planning an individual exercise program. A written record is kept of daily sessions, and the patient’s personal physician receives written progress reports.
- Will my Insurance Pay for the Program?
Cardiac Rehabilitation has been approved by Medicare and may be covered by private insurance carriers. Patients not insured by Medicare may wish to review their policy or contact their insurance company to confirm coverage for this service.
- Cardiac Phase III Program
The Phase III Cardiac Rehabilitation program allows patients to continue their exercise program at the hospital. The patient receives instructions from hospital staff as to what level of exercise they should be participating in, what their target heart rate should be, and the signs and symptoms of exercise intolerance. Limited monitoring from the staff is also provided. Participants are responsible for paying the fee for this program.
Convenient On-Site Cardiology Clinic
It’s easy to get the everyday heart health advice you need at our on-site cardiology physician clinic, open Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm. Specialized heart care programs include a device clinic for patients with pacemakers and cardiac defibrillators, inpatient cardiology consultations, cardiac testing and rehabilitation program.
- 24 hr Cardiac Holter / 30 day cardiac event monitoring
- Aerosol Medications
- Arterial Blood Gas
- Cardiac Stress Testing
- Life support/ Critical care
- Nocturnal/Ambulatory Pulse Oximetry
- Non-invasive Ventilation BiPAP/ CPAP
- Oxygen Therapy
- Pulmonary Clinic
- Pulmonary Function Testing
- Sleep Disorders Laboratory
- Smoking Cessation Program
Find Heart and Vascular Care at AdventHealth Ottawa
Formerly known as Ransom Memorial Health
Formerly known as RMH Cardiology Care Clinic
Formerly known as RMH Pulmonary Care
Formerly known as Shawnee Mission Cardiovascular Associates
For Your Whole Life
Breaking down barriers to better heart health. That’s what multidisciplinary care means to us. Our team can connect you to the local nutrition, exercise, and surgical experts who can help you feel better and feel whole as you continue your journey to wellness. From helping with medication management to supporting your rehabilitation progress, our approach to care is simple: We’re here to help you get from where you are now to where you want to be.