While You Fight Cancer
At AdventHealth Ocala, formerly Florida Hospital Ocala, you’re more than a cancer diagnosis. You’re a brother or sister and one of God’s children. We see all of you — and we’re on your side. This is your fight, but you’re not alone. We’ve got your back, with:
- Compassionate, skilled oncologists
- Advanced cancer treatment technology
- Access to all the resources of one of Florida’s most comprehensive cancer programs — right here in your community
- Services and support to keep you strong —body, mind and spirit.
Close to Home
- Breast Cancer Care
From cancer diagnosis through treatment and follow-up, you’ll have access to everything you need on your journey to beat breast cancer and keep living your life. Most breast cancer treatment involves surgery, and our breast cancer surgeons are skilled in many of the latest proven techniques, such as:
- Sentinel node biopsy: This is a biopsy of the lymph node under the arms where breast cancer usually spreads first. If there is no cancer in the sentinel node, the other nodes are most likely cancer-free as well.
- Breast-conserving cancer surgery: Also called breast-sparing surgery or lumpectomy, this procedure removes only the lump and some surrounding tissue. This surgery is often used for early-stage breast cancer and may be followed by radiation and other therapies.
- Mastectomy: In a total mastectomy, the surgeon removes the entire breast and often the lining over the chest muscle. A skin sparing mastectomy, in which the skin over the breast is left intact, may be an option if you’re planning immediate reconstruction. A modified radical mastectomy removes the whole breast, most of the underarm lymph nodes and often the chest muscle lining, and in some cases, one of the two chest muscles. A radical mastectomy removes both chest muscles, along with the whole breast, chest muscle lining and underarm lymph nodes.
- Reconstructive surgery: Our team is skilled in rebuilding breasts after a mastectomy, either using artificial implants or with tissue from elsewhere in the body (flap surgery).
Other cancer treatments may be used alone or following surgery, such as:
- Chemotherapy, using cancer-killing drugs that enter the bloodstream and spread throughout the body. It is often used for cancer that has metastasized.
- Radiation therapy, using high-energy rays to kill cancer cells or shrink tumors. It is to reduce the risk of recurrence after surgery and to treat cancer that has spread to other areas.
- Hormonal therapy, for certain cancers that respond to it. It’s often used to help prevent cancer from returning after surgery.
Immunotherapy, also called genetic therapy, which triggers genetic changes that can help your immune system fight cancer. Immunotherapy is being used to treat some forms of breast cancer in clinical trials.
- Gastrointestinal Cancer Care
Gastrointestinal cancer includes cancers of the pancreas, stomach, colon or liver. The oncologists at AdventHealth Ocala, formerly Florida Hospital Ocala, offer the latest possible treatments for these cancers, from preventive surgery to remove polyps in the colon to laparoscopic surgery to treat advanced cancer while maintaining function and quality of life. Our gastroenterologists, cancer surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, therapeutic endoscopists, radiologists and other team members work together to create your cancer treatment and follow-up plan, which may include surgery, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, nutrition counseling and other services.
- Hematology Oncology
Hematology oncology is treatment for blood cancers, such as Hodgkins and non-Hodgkins lymphomas, leukemias and multiple myelomas. Through AdventHealth Ocala, you’ll have access to the most successful and promising hematology oncology treatments possible — from advanced chemotherapy protocols to bone marrow transplant.
To Keep Your Spirit Strong
A cancer diagnosis can color your life — but you hold the canvas. We know the importance of mental, spiritual and emotional well-being in your cancer fight, and our entire team is committed to ensuring you have the support and resources you need to stay strong. That commitment is one thing that sets us apart, and one reason so many people turn to AdventHealth for cancer care.