The staff at AdventHealth Wound Care Manchester are celebrating American Heart Month by educating their community about good cardiovascular care and tips to keep hearts healthy year-round.
Every day more than half a million Americans are diagnosed with cardiovascular diseases like peripheral artery disease, a condition that compromises leg circulation and results in non-healing wounds. A healthy heart helps keep oxygen and nutrient-rich blood flowing through the body, a vital component of wound healing.
“Any disease that disrupts blood circulation affects how long it will take for a wound to heal,” said Dr. Gregory Wilkens. “Poor heart health means poor wound healing rates.”
AdventHealth Wound Care Manchester suggests that patients do the following to be heart healthy:
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
- Quit smoking.
- Eat a healthy amount of fruits and veggies instead of processed foods, like potato chips.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep.
- Engage in activities to relieve stress, such as meditation.
AdventHealth Wound Care Manchester provides a comprehensive approach to treating patients with non-healing wounds. The team features clinicians with advanced training in wound care.
AdventHealth Wound Care Manchester is open Monday through Thursday 8am to 5pm and Fridays 8am to 12noon. For more information about wound care or to schedule an appointment, call Call606-598-4524. No referral is required.
1. Duke L. Heart health important for wound healing. Wilson Times, February 6, 2019. http://www.wilsontimes.com/stories/heart-health-important-for-wound-heal.... Accessed February 19, 2019.