Get on Track for a Healthy Weight
Not being at a healthy weight can make anyone unhappy, especially kids. Their self-esteem can fall while their health risks rise, and these issues can persist into adulthood. It’s a situation that can sometimes leave parents feeling helpless and searching for answers.
That’s where AdventHealth for Children, formerly Florida Hospital for Children, comes in. Our team of specialists understands all aspects of weight management for children and teens. We can help your child achieve and maintain a healthy weight while avoiding associated health problems.
Our weight management program has another essential component: Wellness. We help your child move into the future as a healthy, happy adult. Our program works because we talk to kids without jargon or judgement. And also because we care for the whole person — body, mind and spirit.
Can Help Your Child Stay Healthy
- Weight Management Program Overview
Criteria for program:
- Children and teens ages 5-17
- Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than or equal to 85th percentile
- Referral and authorization from child/teen's Primary Care Physician
6 Month intensive program
- Orientation session
- Clinical Visits (Pediatrician, Psychologist, Registered Dietitian, Exercise Physiologist)
- Initial new patient visit
- 3 month visit
- 6 month visit/program completion
- Required to wear workout clothes and tennis shoes at every visit
- Additional visits with clinical team as recommended
- Optional continuation of program as recommended
Interactive and educational workshops are required within the first 6 months (offered monthly, attendance in at least 2 per month). Workshop topics include but are not limited to:
- Cooking and Gardening Classes are held in our Emeril Lagasse Foundation Kitchen House and Culinary Garden
- Grocery store tours and scavenger hunt
- Fitness classes at our main office and locations throughout the community including select YMCA locations
Review our workshop times and locations on Facebook @HealthyWeightAndWellness
- Wellness Basics: How Our Lifestyles Can Effect Our Health
The experts at AdventHealth for Children, formerly Florida Hospital for Children, bring a fresh perspective to talking with kids about healthy eating. We give them information on their level, with concrete and practical care that works. We can personalize a plan for your child with components such as:
- Coaching for better sleep habits. Kids who don’t get enough sleep are more likely to gain weight, and may eventually have higher risks for other health problems.
- Counseling for emotional issues. Stress, conflict, arguments and other hurtful life events can affect health and weight. We give your child tactics to help stay cool and stay well.
- Nutrition coaching. A healthy diet can help your child stay well, feel good, and have the energy he or she needs to feel great.
- Strategies for being more active. Just an hour a day of walking, biking, basketball or another activity can make a big difference in your child’s health.
- Tactics for how to have healthy relationships and effectively deal with bullying. You can use strategies to stop bullies, and to keep from being a bully yourself.
- Weight Management for Children and Teens
Children and teens with overweight or obesity can feel powerless to change. They may have tried crash diets, diet drinks, or risky supplements, with little or no success. And all the while they’re dealing with the social isolation and stigma that comes with being different.
When your child comes to AdventHealth for Children, our weight management and wellness experts begin right away to turn that around. The doctors and other expert professionals on our weight-management team understand the full range of risks, triggers, habits and other factors that lead to childhood obesity.
Your AdventHealth for Children team also understands that children aren’t just little adults. We use techniques that are proven to bring about the best possible result in specific age groups. According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, you should expect care that:
- Focuses on helping your child adopt healthy behaviors such as choosing healthy foods in appropriate portions, and staying physically active.
- Follows up with a maintenance program to ensure that your child stays on track for a healthy weight.
- Includes a medical evaluation to check your child’s general health and look for any undiagnosed conditions.
- Is keyed to your child’s age and developmental stage.
- Treats the whole child, not just his or her weight, and includes your family in the care plan.
You can count on us to meet these standards, and to exceed your expectations. Our weight management program has achieved remarkable results in helping kids lose weight and enjoy the physical, emotional, and spiritual rewards to being healthy.
- Stay Healthy and Happy: Tips for Kids (and Adults!)
Be mindful. Making healthier food choices is rewarding in the long run and can help avoid certain diseases. Choosing healthy foods such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, provide our bodies with more nutrients. And remember, to drink lots of water — it helps keep you healthy.
Be active. The less active you are, the harder it is to have a healthy body. Take time each day to go for a walk, a run, or a bike ride. Think about joining a sports team or an exercise class. It’s okay to start slow, with stretches or short walks. But keep working up to more active time and less down time. Your body will thank you.
Get more sleep. Kids need more sleep than adults — about 9-10 hours a day for most children and teens. If you consistently get less, you’re at higher risk for obesity and eventually for conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure. You’ll sleep better if you go to bed at a regular time each night, keep your bedroom cool, dark, and avoid foods with caffeine in the evening, and turn off screens and electronics before bedtime.
Make good friends. When you have friends you trust, you’re likely to feel safe and happy. And when you have someone you can talk to, you’re less likely to worry and overeat. Try to be honest and fair with your parents and teachers too. They are there for you when you need them.
Address bullying. We all know what a bully is — they tease and insult and may even get physically aggressive. If you’re being bullied, tell someone. Your teacher, parents, or any adult you trust needs to know when this happens. These folks are there to protect you, as well as any other kids that the bully may be hurting.
Limit screen time. Limit video games, video, TV, cell phone and computer time to no more than 1-2 hours per day. Your brain, eyes, and body need breaks away from screens.
- Mission:FIT POSSIBLE
For many kids today, weight management can be a real challenge. Mission:FIT POSSIBLE opens the door to fun, effective ways to be fit, healthy and prevent childhood obesity.
AdventHealth for Children partners with WebMD and Sanford Health to bring FIT to you and your child. This national initiative aims to help kids and their parents get on board with whole-life wellness. It’s a comprehensive wellness program that includes:
- Food. Eating healthy can be delicious, with fresh fruit, great veggie dishes, whole grains, and other foods to give kids the energy and nutrition they need — without the excess sugar and fat that can add pounds.
- Mood. Kids’ emotions play an important role in their health. FIT helps your child and family learn ways to de-stress and manage moods.
- Move. Active games, sports, fun exercises — kids love to move when they get the chance. FIT incorporates physical activity with engaging lessons on fitness.
- Recharge. Children and teens need plenty of sleep to stay healthy and happy. FIT helps kids understand the importance of sleep, and gives you strategies for helping your child get enough rest.
With our FIT program, these trained health and wellness educators, “edutainers” come to your child’s school, church, or community center. They engage kids in fun activities that teach them how to be physically and emotionally healthy. You can expect your child to become “fit friendly,” and to bring home tools your whole family can use to get and stay healthy.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Does my child qualify for AdventHealth for Children Weight Management and Wellness?
A. Qualifications include:
- Children and teens ages 5-17
- Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than or equal to the 85th percentile to be determined by your child's Primary Care Provider
- Referral and authorization from child/teen's Primary Care Provider
Q. How can I get my child started with AdventHealth for Children Weight Management and Wellness?
A. Get started by calling our office Call407-303-9200 to schedule an orientation.
Q. Are the workshops required for successful completion and best results in the program?
A. Yes. The workshops are designed to elaborate, reinforce, and/or train new thoughts and skills that are needed to be successful in managing weight which is not possible during a normal clinic visit.
Q. How should I prepare for my first visit?
A. Attend an orientation where you will receive a complete detailed overview of the program.
- Research and Publications
Our experts have created national obesity guidelines, led national obesity studies and publications and participated in a national FOCUS group.
Meet Our Medical Director
You can count on our skilled weight management and wellness staff to provide personalized care that works. We know how to talk to kids, and we consider your whole family as part of the care team. Our medical director, Dr. Fals, leads by example in providing that care.
Cutting-Edge Medicine at The Kitchen House
Sometimes the best health care happens in the kitchen — especially if the food comes from a garden just outside the door. That’s what happens at The Emeril Lagasse Foundation Kitchen House & Culinary Garden, which is better known as The Kitchen House.
Kids come to plant garden vegetables, harvest them and help cook delicious meals. They take their skills and knowledge home with them, where they can replicate easy meals and share important lessons about nutrition and cooking. AdventHealth for Children is at the forefront of this move to start kids off with good eating habits, and to help them be ambassadors for healthy eating. Learn More
Meet Our Team
With a Whole Team by Your Side
Our expert team of Weight and Wellness Care specialists is here to help you achieve a healthier weight and a healthier life. Trust our network of care to help guide and support you in your journey to wellness. With access to a wide range of wellness doctors, weight loss experts, community resources, and local support services, you can count on our multidisciplinary team to help you overcome any roadblocks in your journey to better health. We are here to be your coach — and biggest cheerleader — on the way to success.
Conditions We Treat
- Rapid Weight Gain
- Severe Obesity
- Sleep Apnea/Sleep Disorders
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol and Triglycerides
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Prediabetes (Insulin Resistance and Impaired Glucose Tolerance)
- Type 2 Diabetes (with Endocrinologist)
- Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Low Self Esteem
- Distorted Body Image
- Depression Screening
Find Care Near You
Winter Park, FL 32792
Winter Park, FL 32792
Formerly known as Center for Child and Family Wellness - Main
Orlando, FL 32803
Orlando, FL 32803
Formerly known as AdventHealth Medical Group Neonatology Hospitalists at Central Florida