Supporting Your Child’s Long-Term Wellness
Childhood obesity is a complex condition that dramatically increases the risk of other serious health problems, such as diabetes, liver disease, heart disease and mental health conditions. If your child has tried different weight-loss methods for severe obesity without success, adolescent bariatric surgery (also known as pediatric weight-loss surgery) is a procedure that can help children and teens achieve better health when combined with lifestyle changes.
Evaluation for adolescent bariatric surgery is extensive, and we know that it is not a decision you and your child are making lightly. Together with your family, our multispecialty adolescent bariatric care team will guide you through your options for weight-loss surgery for teens and children to determine the best path. AdventHealth for Children has the only Adolescent Bariatric Surgery Program in Central Florida offering bariatric procedures and a range of support services to help your family maintain a healthier lifestyle.
Meet Our Comprehensive Care Team
Each patient is guided by a multidisciplinary team experienced in the metabolic and psychological needs of children and their families.
Answering Your Adolescent Weight-Loss Surgery FAQs
We know your consideration of bariatric surgery involves a lot of questions. Here are some answers to some common questions and concerns.
- At what age can parents consider bariatric surgery for their child?
- How do I know if my child qualifies for bariatric surgery?
- What are the risks and benefits of bariatric surgery in adolescents?
- Does my child need to try weight-loss pills first?
- Can bariatric surgery help reduce NASH in teenagers?
- Will weight-loss surgery resolve my teenager’s diabetes?
- What's the difference between a sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass?