Choose the health content that’s right for you, and get it delivered right in your inbox.
Greetings from the AdventHealth Foundation.
AdventHealth is one of the largest, faith-based health care systems in the United States. With a focus on whole-person care, we are so much more than a hospital. We are a network of people committed to promoting wellness through the delivery of compassionate care for every stage of life.
AdventHealth cares for and nurtures people, and that’s what we’ve been doing since the first Seventh-day Adventist health facility opened in 1866. From the beginning, we’ve combined an innovative perspective on whole-person health with the latest medical treatments for curing illness.
As a healthcare provider, we’re just as focused on helping people avoid the need for treatment as we are on treating injury and illness when they occur.
Philanthropy at AdventHealth
Generosity has been an important part of our legacy since our first hospital opened in Central Florida in 1908. Every year, thousands of individuals, families and organizations make donations and experience the healing power of generosity. This support strengthens programs and services, catapults innovative research projects and ensures that we can provide the best patient care possible.
AdventHealth has expanded into genomics, a personalized approach to health care and increasingly specialized health care services for children. These advancements are only possible because of the generous people in our community — people like you.
The following is our Executive Philanthropy Briefing, which details the history of AdventHealth in Central Florida and around the world and highlights community involvement over the last decade.
I invite you to learn more and participate in our legacy of generosity.
Thank you for your commitment to extending the healing ministry of Christ in Central Florida.
Let me know if you have questions or would like additional information.
AdventHealth Foundation Central Florida
AdventHealth Foundation Central Florida
Executive Philanthropy Briefing
A legacy of generosity. A future of innovation.
In 1866, a small group of Adventist Christians opened the Health Reform Institute in Battle Creek, Michigan. This health care facility, which was later named the Battle Creek Sanitarium, began pioneering health practices that altered society’s fundamental understanding of medicine and healthy living. Members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church dedicated themselves to extending the healing ministry of Christ by making health care safer and more effective.
Their approach to CARING FOR THE WHOLE PERSON, not just treating illness, was revolutionary in 1866.
By 1908, the Seventh-day Adventist Church’s network of health care institutions included 33 hospitals from California and Massachusetts to South Africa and Denmark. This expansion also included Florida Sanitarium, which opened in Orlando with only $4.83 in the treasury. In 2018, Florida Hospital became AdventHealth to reflect the system’s reach outside of Florida. Today, our network has grown to include 51 hospitals serving more than 6.5 million patients annually. In Central Florida, AdventHealth operates 16 hospitals and serves more patients each year than any hospital system in the state. The legacy of innovation continues today – more than 150 years later. Whole-person care has become the foundation of our special brand of healing.
A Community Impacting Patient Care
AdventHealth Foundation Central Florida is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit that directly supports AdventHealth facilities in Altamonte Springs, Apopka, Celebration, East Orlando, Kissimmee, Orlando, Winter Garden, Winter Park and the specialty services provided at AdventHealth for Children and AdventHealth for Women. Our team also fundraises for international missions in Central and South America, Southeast Asia and Africa.
Started by the community, the Foundation continues to operate as an extension of the communities we serve. Engaging our fellow community members in the health and healing mission of AdventHealth is critically important.
• Philanthropic support of our mission provides a margin of excellence that allows AdventHealth to launch innovative programs more quickly than it could through normal operations and allows us to achieve goals that would not otherwise have been possible.
• Donating allows you to be an integral part of the care team — just as important as our physicians and nurses.
• Today’s investments can lead to tomorrow’s medical breakthroughs. Generosity provides capital, research and programmatic initiatives to advance patient care in our community.
• Engaging the community through fundraising boards and volunteer opportunities helps us stay close to people to make sure we are providing the services and care they desire.
• Our goal is to provide you and your family with the best care available right here in Central Florida so you don’t have to travel far for treatment.
The Foundation has an effective rate of return, is community driven and helps drive system priorities for the hospital. With less than a 25-percent cost ratio, we have raised an average of $19 million annually from 2009-2021.
To generate $20 million for capital or programmatic use, the hospital must generate $106 million in operating revenue or $500 million in gross revenue. The Foundation’s $20 million in annual fundraising equates to 6,320 adjusted admissions or 484 full-time employees. Based on return on investment, the Foundation is the most profitable department at AdventHealth.
AdventHealth Foundation Central Florida Fast Facts
• We have eight boards with a total of 116 board members.
• We have over 31,979 unique donors who have been with us since 2017.
• We have over 8,556 regular donors who make at least one gift every three years to our Foundation.
• 6,338 AdventHealth employees gave $1.39 million in 2021 through the Employee Giving program.
• AdventHealth employees give to 33 beneficiaries through the Employee Giving program.
• In 2021 our team was still able to safely conduct three core events and partner with numerous digital
• We have 43 full-time employees who operate independently from AdventHealth hospital teams.
• Our operating expenses are fully subsidized by AdventHealth. Therefore, 100 percent of all donations
received by the Foundation directly benefit the programs or projects designated by our donors.
Gifts by Source
The elements, operations and organization of our team include:
1. Major Gifts—Gifts of at least $10,000
2. Events—Core and community events
3. Employee Gifts—Given through the Employee Giving Program
4. Annual Fund—Gifts under $10,000
5. Planned Gifts—Wills, trusts, bequests, retirement accounts and estate gifts
6. Grants—Gifts from national, state and local foundations
Gifts by Beneficiary in 2021
The Foundation serves, supports and raises funds for the following beneficiaries: AdventHealth University, Cancer Care, Cardiac Care, Children’s Care, Diabetes Care, Hospice Care, Neurology and Neurosurgical Care, Transplant Care, AdventHealth campuses throughout Central Florida and International Medical Missions.
Since 2009, AdventHealth Foundation Central Florida has distributed more than $219 million back to the hospital. Funds are disbursed when a project is completed, so distributions in a given year include donations received over several prior years for a project. One hundred percent of every dollar donated to AdventHealth Foundation Central Florida directly impacts our community.
The generosity of our community has helped AdventHealth achieve excellence. Every gift, large or small, reinforces our goal of providing whole-person health through supporting wellness of the mind, body and spirit of each patient. Our dedication to providing unsurpassed health and wellness services is constantly expanding to meet the increasing needs of our ever-growing community. As we’ve adapted with the changing times, our mission has remained constant – to Extend the Healing Ministry of Christ.