Choose the health content that’s right for you, and get it delivered right in your inbox.
AdventHealth specialists use education and training to expertly treat conditions of the neck and back with conservative and surgical solutions. Your treatment plan should be as unique as you are, addressing your specific needs. You are a part of a team, working together to identify the treatment plan that’s right for you.
Plan of Action
Surgery of any kind is often a source of stress and uncertainty. In an effort to alleviate those feelings, it’s essential to get answers to any questions that may be running through your mind.
If you and your doctor have determined that surgery is right for you, then you’ve already done a great job asking questions so far. Don’t stop there.
You probably already have some clarity on a few of the more common questions, such as “Will I need to stay in the hospital?” and “If so, for how long?” Your care team will ensure that you’re well educated about events leading up to, and those occurring the day of your procedure — but what happens when you go home?
Your Post-Surgery Plan
With many thoughts racing through your mind, it’s important to take note of a few more questions that can help ease your mind about the events to come. Consider asking your medical specialist:
- How will my pain be controlled after surgery?
- How soon after surgery can I resume regular household activities?
- How soon after surgery can I resume exercising?
- How long after surgery can I drive?
- How long after surgery can I return to work?
- If I live alone, will I need family/friends to stay with me?
Less common questions you should also consider include:
- Can I take a shower?
- Do I need to change my dressing more frequently if it becomes damp from sweat?
- Do I need to prepare my home for postoperative recovery? (removing rugs, adjusting furniture, etc.)
- Should I move everyday items to easy-to-reach spaces?
- Will I be able to prepare my own meals during recovery, or should I need avoid cooking to prevent prolonged or excessive bending and standing?
Your postoperative course is specific to your procedure. AdventHealth doctors are passionate about providing the most minimally invasive surgical solutions available. Take the time to look at your lifestyle. We encourage you to be involved in every phase of your treatment plan. The only wrong question is the one never asked.
Talk to a Pro
Click here to learn more about the expert spine care options available at AdventHealth. Our team is dedicated to creating the personalized spine care plan that’s best for you.