Feel Whole Challenge Day 8: Make a Healthy Meal
All Tex-Mex food has a certain power over me now, but 8 years ago I never cared a nickel for it. It wasn’t important until I found myself in the northeast three years later, all alone but with a strong craving for unlimited chips and salsa paired with an accompanying group of friends and family to share it with.
That’s when I realized how much I missed what my memories of Tex-Mex represented. The smells and flavors of Tex-Mex comfort me more than any other cuisine because they make me feel at home. And I will think good thoughts of this food forever.
Lucky for me, I am back in Texas now with access to as many fried tortilla chips as I could ever eat, BUT during our 21-day challenge, we vowed to eat fewer fried chips despite our love for them. We did, however, think it would be fitting to satisfy our tortilla chip desire in a small way by making a batch of tortilla soup, which starts with a base of what we love the most—crisped corn tortillas. Yum!
Coming across a vegetarian version of tortilla soup is rare though, especially one that is as hearty and satisfying as an original. So I decided to create a soup using jackfruit instead of shredded chicken.
Jackfruit is an exotic tropical fruit with a hard, spiked exterior and a very meat-like interior that is mild in flavor, but can also mimic the texture of shredded meat! The canned version is wonderful and easy to use. Be sure to get the green jackfruit, which isn’t fully ripe and is not very sweet, because it’ll take on the flavor of whatever you’re cooking with it.
With some simple ingredients, this delicious soup comes together quickly and will warm your soul. It had us going back for multiple refills.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 5 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 chipotle pepper, minced
- 5 plum tomatoes, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ - 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 20-ounce can green jackfruit, drained and shredded
- ⅓ cup cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Heat up 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a dutch oven or large heavy pot
- Place the tortilla strips in to brown, stirring occasionally
- Add remaining oil and stir to coat
- Once evenly browned, remove tortilla strips and drain on a paper towel
- Add onions, stirring occasionally until they become slightly translucent
- Add minced garlic and spices, stirring to incorporate
- Add chipotle and jalapeño peppers, cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, and salt to taste
- Place browned tortilla strips into the soup and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes before reducing heat to a simmer
- If desired, blend with an immersion blender before adding shredded jackfruit, corn, beans, and cilantro
- Garnish with fresh cilantro
The opinions in this blog have been written by a sponsored guest blogger, who is not an AdventHealth employee. This material is intended for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for examination, diagnosis and medical care provided by a licensed and qualified health professional. Please consult your physician before undertaking any form of medical treatment and/or adopting any exercise program or dietary guidelines. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call 911 immediately.
Writer: Jerrelly Guy