The full-service outpatient pharmacy is now open at the Center for Health and Wellbeing in Winter Park. The AdventHealth Pharmacy at the Center for Health and Wellbeing offers a convenient option for filling prescriptions after physician’s appointments or between fitness classes.
And for older adults, the caring team at the AdventHealth Pharmacy offers expert guidance on medications — empowering aging adults and giving their loved ones peace of mind, too.
Could My Aging Parents Benefit From a Pharmacy Consult?
If your parents are facing multiple issues that require a complex regimen of medicines, it can become difficult and overwhelming to manage them and watch for side effects. And, you may have a lot of questions. For instance, you may want to know:
- Are my parents taking their medications correctly?
- What medications are safe to take together?
- Are these medications causing any serious side effects?
To answer these questions and more, a pharmacy consult at the AdventHealth Pharmacy is a great way to help aging parents keep track of their medical needs and provide you with a sense of relief that they’re getting the advice they need.
How Pharmacy Consults Help Older Adults
A pharmacy consult — where your local pharmacist sits down with you to discuss your questions and concerns and help you and your parents create a safe routine for medicine — can help give you peace of mind.
A pharmacy consult may:
- Identify any errors in prescriptions or medication recommendations
- Identify possible harmful drug or disease interactions
- Improve treatment efficacy
- Improve patient safety
- Reduce the risk of accidentally doubling up on the same drug with multiple pill bottles
- Remove barriers keeping parents from taking medication as prescribed
Preparing for the Pharmacy Consult
First, call the pharmacy at Call407-646-7263 and ask to schedule a 15- or 30-minute consultation with the pharmacist.
Before the appointment:
- Bring a list of surgeries and medical providers (including phone and fax numbers)
- Gather all medicine, including over-the-counter medications, prescriptions, herbal supplements, vitamins, eye drops or anything else your parents take regularly
- Make a complete list of medications
Giving these items to the pharmacist before the appointment will allow them to create a chart or profile for your parents.
During the Pharmacy Consult
The pharmacist will review each medication with you, taking care to make sure all your questions are answered. They will also ensure everything your parents are taking is safe, effective and working to improve their whole health. This may include:
- Correcting dosage amounts, in partnership with your parents’ doctors
- Eliminating unnecessary medicines
- Educating you and your parents about drug safety, including serious side effects and which over-the-counter medications your parents can take with their prescriptions
Establishing a routine for medication, including:
- What medicine to take in the morning and what to take before bed
- Which medications should be taken with food
- What food or drink to avoid when taking certain medications
- Removing barriers that are keeping your parents from taking medications
Sometimes, older adults don’t take their medicine as prescribed — not because they don’t want to, but because they can’t. Your pharmacist can assess whether your parents have impairments that make it difficult to read instructions, open medication bottles, or organize supplies to take medication as prescribed.
After the Pharmacy Consult
After the consult is complete, your pharmacist may recommend helping your parents improve their medication routine. The pharmacist may need to contact the prescribing doctor(s) again to review any recommendations to optimize the patient’s health care.
Other Services Available at the AdventHealth Pharmacy at the Center for Health and Wellbeing
Located at 2005 Mizell Avenue, Suite 900, Winter Park, FL 32792, our pharmacy works the same way as any pharmacy. Most insurance plans are accepted, as well as cash and credit card payments.
Staff are available to facilitate prior authorizations and patient co-pay assistance programs upon request to manage medications and costs. The AdventHealth Pharmacy also offers complimentary medication delivery, as well as auto-refill and re-fill reminders.
The pharmacists will be happy to answer any medication questions, and they’re available for consultations to discuss other pharmacy items, including vitamins, health aids, medical supplies and other medications.
A Strong Partnership for Better Health
Your parents’ pharmacist works closely with their doctor(s). This helps ensure everyone is on the same page — including you, your parents and their care team. A strong relationship between pharmacists and doctors creates open communication and builds trust and understanding to ensure your parents are receiving the exact medication they need.