The Leapfrog Group announced today Florida Hospital Waterman has been named a Top General Hospital for 2016. Widely acknowledged as one of the most prestigious distinctions a hospital can receive in the U.S., the recognition showcases Florida Hospital Waterman's commitment to patient safety and quality.
Protecting the patients in our community and providing them with a safe and caring environment for healing is central to our mission said David Ottati, President and Chief Executive Officer, Florida Hospital Waterman. The recognition for earning this prestigious designation once again belongs to the doctors, clinicians, staff, and frontline leaders who take responsibility for our patients on a daily basis. It is a testament to their hard work, commitment, experience and expertise.
Florida Hospital Waterman received a Top General Hospital distinction making it one of seven hospitals in Florida and 56 hospitals nationwide recognized. In total, 115 hospitals were recognized as a top hospital, including:
- 56 Top General Hospitals
- 9 Top Children's Hospitals
- 21 Top Rural Hospitals
- 29 Top Teaching Hospitals
- Florida Hospital Waterman is:
- 1 of 11 hospitals in Florida to have earned Straight As since 2013.
- 1 of 11 hospitals in Florida to be named a Top Hospital.
- 1 of 7 hospitals in Florida to be named a Top General Hospital.
- The only hospital in Lake, Sumter or Marion County to be named a Top Hospital.
- The only hospital in Lake, Sumter, Marion, Orange, or Seminole County to have earned straight As for safety since 2013.
- The only hospital in Central Florida to be named a Top General Hospital and earn straight As for safety since 2013.
The selection of Top Hospitals is based on the results of the 2016 Leapfrog Hospital Survey. Performance across many areas of hospital care is considered in establishing the qualifications for the award, including infection rates, maternity care, and a hospitals ability to prevent medication errors. The rigorous standards are defined in each year's Top Hospital Methodology.
Being acknowledged as a Top Hospital is an incredible feat achieved by less than three percent of hospitals nationwide, said Leah Binder, president and CEO of The Leapfrog Group. With this honor, Florida Hospital Waterman has established its commitment to safer and higher quality care. Providing this level of care to patients in the community requires motivation and drive from every team member. I congratulate the board, staff and clinicians, whose efforts made this honor possible.
To see the full list of institutions honored as 2016 Top Hospitals, please visit www.leapfroggroup.org/tophospitals.