If you’ve ever taken a minute to appreciate the beauty of a large oak tree, you’ve likely been drawn to its vast trunk and sprawling branch system. What you might not have paid any attention to is the extensive root system down below your feet.
Believe it or not, your body has a similar network, too. As your heart steadily pumps blood, your complex network of blood vessels delivers the nutrient where it needs to go. You rely on your cardiovascular system (your heart, blood vessels, veins and arteries) for all of your body’s vital functions.
Where the health of your heart may be top of mind, oftentimes, your vascular health may not get the attention it deserves.
In honor of National Vascular Disease Awareness Month this September, we’re here to help focus your attention on your whole health, including emergent and preventive vascular diseases.
Screening and Early Detection of Vascular Disease
Vascular disease can be silent for many, but leaving these diseases in silence is not the answer:
- Carotid Artery Disease (CAD) is responsible for at least 300,000 strokes a year
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms are the third leading cause of sudden death in men over 60
- Renal Artery Stenosis affects over 5 million Americans
- Extremity Artery Disease affecting over 10 million Americans
Evidence-based screening programs, such as Dare to C.A.R.E, can bring cost-friendly vascular screening to people with specific risk factors, such as:
- Over the age of 50
- Age 40 and over with diabetes
- Limb loss (can decrease by 90% through screening and treatment strategies)
- High Cholesterol
- Low Cholesterol
- High blood pressure
With a painless 15-minute, noninvasive ultrasound of your neck, abdomen, legs, and feet, many vascular diseases can be detected and lead to treatment before emergent steps need to be made.
A Vision for AdventHealth’s First Vascular Center of Excellence
Today, AdventHealth is an established leader in providing vascular care to our communities throughout the U.S.. AdventHealth Orlando was awarded the 2019 TCAR Center of Excellence, a designation that shows our expertise has lowered the risk of strokes in patients who may suffer from carotid artery diseases.
To continue to deliver expert level care, the team acknowledges the growing vascular needs of our community. Vascular treatments transferred to AdventHealth Orlando’s Quaternary Center have increased 35% from 2017 to 2019 and are expected to continue to rise.
AdventHealth sees a future where the prevention and treatment of vascular disease saves more lives and limbs in Central Florida and beyond. To transform the way our community treats vascular diseases, we envision a coordinated system of care that provides leading-edge heart and vascular disease prevention programs as well as screening and treatment options for patients at any age and any life stage.
With your help through Golden Gala XXXIX, we can create AdventHealth’s first Vascular Center of Excellence that can offer programs such as Dare to C.A.R.E. with potentially life-saving, vascular disease screenings to our local community members at risk; while also serving patients with more critical lifesaving needs in a new hybrid operating room (OR).
The hybrid OR will be equipped with advanced medical imaging devices such as fixed C-Arms, CT scanners or MRI scanners that enable minimally-invasive vascular surgery. This OR would tend to specialties throughout our hospital, and impact individuals in need within AdventHealth Cancer Institute, AdventHealth for Children, AdventHealth Diabetes Institute and so on.
Ways You Can Support AdventHealth’s Golden Gala XXXIX
AdventHealth’s Golden Gala XXXIX will be hosted November 24 to 25, 2019 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort.
The Golden Gala weekend includes a two-day elite Golf Championship at Disney's Palm & Magnolia Golf Courses, as well as an evening of entertainment with multi-award-winning group Lady Antebellum, an extravagant three course meal, and community-recognized live and silent auctions.
Proceeds from Golden Gala XXXIX will benefit the first of its kind Vascular Center of Excellence for pediatric and adult patients at AdventHealth Cardiovascular Institute.
Here are some ways that you can join us in supporting the future of vascular care.
- Donate in honor of a loved one or in your name: If you or your loved one has been impacted by vascular diseases, you can give back to help others faced with a similar diagnosis by donating today. There is no gift too small. Any level of support for Golden Gala XXXIX is graciously accepted.
- Become a Sponsor: If you’re interested in attending Golden Gala XXXIX or being a sponsor for the event, consider one of this year’s sponsorship opportunities
- Donate an Item for Auction: The event’s community-acclaimed live and silent auctions offer over 200 items ranging from deluxe hotel stays, sports memorabilia and experiences to lavish baskets. Our silent auction will be open to the community and also launch digitally this fall. If you or your organization is interested in donating an item to be included in this year’s Golden Gala XXXIX auction, please complete and return this form by November 1, 2019.
Together, we can continue our mission of extending the healing ministry of Christ by saving more lives from vascular diseases, preventing limb loss and providing life-saving technology for the most advanced vascular surgeries.
Visit AdventHealthGoldenGala.com for more information.