Taking Pictures That Tell a Story
Every picture tells a story. With regard to diagnostic imagery, each picture we take tells a story about what's going on inside your body — a story that helps us guide you to a new chapter of wellness. With advanced medical imaging technology that provides more accuracy, our skilled radiologists are able to provide quick and clear information about your diagnosis and treatment.
At AdventHealth, formerly Shawnee Mission Health, we have three convenient locations and the ability to give you timely results, so you can lean on us. From MRIs and PET scans to X-rays and mammograms, we can get to the root cause of your injury or illness quickly and accurately, and also provide proactive wellness screenings. Know that your team is here to provide the answers you need, when you need them.
For a Fast and Accurate Diagnosis
- Advanced Imaging Services, From Mammography to MRIs
AdventHealth, formerly Shawnee Mission Health, has three medical imaging locations in Shawnee Mission, South Overland Park, and Lenexa, and all are committed to supporting your wellness with fast and accurate diagnostic and screening tests. Equipped with leading technologies and staffed by our highly trained experts, our medical imaging centers in the Kansas City area provide critical answers when you need them the most. Our advanced Imaging Care includes:
- Bone Densitometry (DXA) Scans are simple, non-invasive procedures that detect bone thinning and mineral loss to detect or evaluate osteoporosis or calculate your risk of developing bone fractures.
- Computer Tomography (CT) Scans provide us with specialized images of your brain, bones, organs, and soft-tissue structures that are fast, non-invasive, and painless.
- Echocardiograms are a kind of ultrasound that help us to identify heart abnormalities using sound waves that produce images.
- Fluoroscopy creates a real-time, continuous moving image using a different form of X-ray and can help your care team make a faster and more accurate diagnosis.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Scans are safe and non-invasive imaging tests that provide us with detailed pictures of your organs, soft tissues, bones, and other structures.
- Mammography helps your care team detect changes in the breasts to catch breast cancer in its earliest stages, when we can better treat you. We may recommend annual screening mammograms if you’re over 40 or have certain risk factors.
- Nuclear Medicine uses tiny, safe amounts of radioactive material to help us diagnose and care for conditions like cancer or heart disease with greater precision.
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Scans can be combined with a CT scan to help us diagnose and examine tumors more quickly and effectively, assessing whether it's cancerous or noncancerous.
- Ultrasounds use non-invasive sound waves instead of radiation to create clear images of the inside of your body.
- X-rays, also called radiography, are quick, non-invasive tests that use an X-ray beam to create detailed images of the inside of your body. They’re often used to detect broken bones.
Whether it’s providing a special low-dose CT scan to screen for lung cancer or increasing your comfort during the MRI testing process through the use of calming ambient lighting, we’ll work to make your exam as smooth and beneficial as possible.
- Helping You Prepare With Confidence in Our Diagnostic Imaging Center
We want to make your visit as smooth as possible. Before your screening or diagnostic exam, we’ll discuss your medical history, any allergies you may have, and whether or not you experience claustrophobia.
While each imaging test is different, most exams last between 30 minutes and an hour. We may ask you to remove metal jewelry or electronic devices before your exam, and you may need to change into a gown or scrubs. In some cases, we’ll ask you to drink a liquid called a contrast or radiotracer to help give us a clearer look inside your body. Or, we may inject this liquid intravenously. In any case, you can trust that your procedure will be non-invasive or minimally invasive, which means your recovery will be short and you’ll be back to your life, fast.
Our imaging services team will be right here to guide you from start to finish. After your exam, our radiologists will give your physician the results within 48 hours. If you have any questions, just ask. Helping you find answers is what we’re here for.
To learn more about what to expect for your individual test, visit us or talk to your doctor.
Get started with your exam today by calling Centralized Scheduling at 913-676-2505.
For mammography, start by Scheduling An Appointment.
- Insurance Providers
We accept most insurance plans and, with most insurance policies, can help your patient obtain any needed pre-authorization.
For more information on this, or to verify your insurance coverage, call 913-676-2505.
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna PPO
- Aetna Medicare Advantage
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City
- Century Health Solutions
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Cigna Healthcare
- Comp Care of the Ozarks
- Comp Results
- CorVel (CorCare)
- Coventry Healthcare
- Coventry Medicare Advantage Plans
- First Health
- Galaxy Health Network
- Humana Health Plans
- Humana Medicare Advantage Plans
- Managed Health Network
- Medicaid Kansas
- Medicaid Missouri
- Medicare (Part A and/or B)
- Medicare Advantage PFFS (Any plan)
- Medicare Railroad
- Medicare Supplement Policies
- National Provider Network
- New Directions
- Occupational Health Management
- Preferred Mental Health Management
- SMMC Employees
- Sterling/Windsor Health Plans
- Sunflower State Health Plan
- Today's Option Pyramid Life
- TriWest (TriCare)
- United Behavioral Health
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Community Health Plan
- United Healthcare Medicare Advantage Plans
- Value Options
- Windsor Sterling Health Plans
SMMC does not participate with the following health plans:
BCBS Blue Advantage or BA Plus, BCBS Premier Blue, KC Blue Access, Coventry Advantra HMO, Humana Gold Plus (HMO), Preferred Health Professionals(PHP). Patients may use out of network benefits if available.
- Contact Us
To request a copy of your films: 913-676-2323
AdventHealth Shawnee Mission
Walk-In X-Ray: Monday-Friday, 6:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Weekend and evening appointments available.
24/7 emergency service
Walk-In X-Ray: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, 7 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; Tuesday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
24/7 emergency service
AdventHealth South Overland Park
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
24/7 emergency service
To schedule an exam at any location, call Centralized Scheduling at 913-676-2505.
Find Imaging Services at AdventHealth Shawnee Mission
Whole-Person Care and Support
Our multidisciplinary care team offers a wide variety of medical imaging services in locations around Kansas City that are convenient to you. We work to get you your results quickly so you can start getting the care you need. We’re also here to help connect you with the resources you need to overcome any roadblocks — whether it’s helping you find someone to drive you home after an imaging appointment, or connecting you with support groups for people who share your diagnosis. Because at AdventHealth, it’s not just about healing your body; it’s about easing your mind, lifting your spirit, and getting you back to whole health as soon as possible.
To schedule a Mammogram appointment please click below. Or call 913-676-2505 for other imaging services.