At AdventHealth for Children, formerly Florida Hospital for Children, our expert team creates an individual, step-by-step plan that is designed specifically for your child. The epilepsy surgery team is dedicated to supporting your child and your family through all steps of the epilepsy treatment process.
- What will happen at the first office visit?
Prior to your initial visit, a member of the nursing staff at AdventHealth for Children, formerly Florida Hospital for Children, will get a detailed history regarding your child. During the initial office visit, the epileptologist and/or nurse practitioners will ask you questions and examine your child. At this time, we will:
- Compile a complete past medical, family and seizure history for your child
- Review any testing your child had elsewhere, like EEGs, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and genetic or metabolic testing
You may also meet some other members of the team, including our nurse and social worker. At the end of the visit, the team will talk with you about recommendations for testing and treatment.
- What if surgical evaluation is recommended for my child?
If surgical evaluation is recommended, a five-day hospital stay will be scheduled in our Seizure Monitoring Unit. During this evaluation, your child will have a series of tests. These tests will help the team:
- Identify the type(s) of seizures your child is experiencing
- Locate the seizure focus
- Determine if surgery is the right option for your child and family