ORLANDO, Fla., — PNC announced today it awarded $500,000 over three years to AdventHealth for Children’s West Lakes Early Learning Center (ELC).
The three-year commitment, which is comprised of a $450,000 grant from the PNC Foundation and a $50,000 charitable sponsorship from PNC Bank, will fund economic empowerment and education equity programs that focus on the family, and further assist the organization in its efforts to address racial equity, economic empowerment, education and entrepreneurship in the Communities of West Lakes.
These initiatives will help address various aspects of racial inequity, including things like food insecurity and health inequity, as well as support career development, financial planning, and entrepreneurship in an area where many residents and small business owners face economic challenges and lack access to educational programs.
“PNC is committed to driving real change in areas in which we can make the greatest impact,” said Chad Loar, PNC regional president for West and Central Florida. “With this additional $500,000 and AdventHealth and LIFT Orlando’s cradle to career strategy, PNC hopes to help the Communities of West Lakes flourish with better social services, workforce & economic development, and strong early learning education.”
The West Lakes ELC delivers high-quality, affordable early childhood education, robust health, wellness and social services on-site to 154 children, six weeks to five years of age and their families, which stretches to a family community of over 1,000 individuals. The ELC is part of a multipronged effort led by LIFT Orlando, alongside resident leadership, to bring together government, the private sector and nonprofits to drive investments and strengthen the historic Communities of West Lakes, near Camping World Stadium. AdventHealth is a founding and continuing member of LIFT Orlando's collective impact initiative, which was established in 2012.
“The West Lakes Early Learning Center not only provides convenient, easy access to world-class medical care to the community, but it also creates an ecosystem where children and families can thrive physically, mentally and spiritually regardless of race, color, age or background,” said Dr. Rajan Wadhawan, senior executive officer of AdventHealth for Children and AdventHealth for Women. “This generous donation from PNC will help AdventHealth further its commitment to supporting the socioeconomic empowerment of West Lakes families by providing opportunities for economic and social mobility leading to an overall healthier community. This gift will be even more impactful, as their gift will be matched dollar-for-dollar by the AdventHealth Foundation Central Florida.”
Research confirms that access to education, information and opportunities can benefit and support at-risk families. The ELC plays an important role in LIFT's holistic neighborhood investment strategy, which aims to empower residents and reverse decades of disinvestment and racial inequality.
The Economic Empowerment Program will include:
- A Comprehensive Services Program Coordinator to address the physical, financial, professional, and social/emotional health of the family. The Coordinator will work with parents/caregivers to guide and support children and family needs, help them remove barriers, and connect them to community resources and partners including, The West Lakes Partnership, Financial Wellbeing Center, Lift Orlando, Boys and Girls Club, Health and Wellness Center, and local Orange County Public Schools to address food insecurity, health inequity and support career development, financial planning, and entrepreneurship.
- Educational Programs supporting families by providing monthly opportunities for community members and families to focus on workforce development and finances.
- A Scholarship Fund to support enrollment continuation for students whose parents are impacted by job loss, illness, or major changes in life impacting employment.
Additionally, an Education Equity Program that focuses on the whole child and their families will be established:
- Continual Professional Development of educators with learning focused on critical themes faced in the community.
- After-School Enrichment Programs for students on-site that include team sports, dance, the arts and off-property swim lessons for students, older siblings, and parents.
- Additional Classroom Resources for STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math).
The funding is part of PNC’s $88 billion Community Benefits Plan announced in April, inclusive of a previously announced commitment of more than $1.5 billion to support the economic empowerment of Black and low- and moderate- income individuals and communities. The Community Benefits Plan will provide at least $88 billion in loans, investments, and other financial support to benefit low- and moderate-income individuals and communities, people and communities of color, and other underserved individuals and communities over a four-year period.
About PNC Foundation
The PNC Foundation, which receives its principal funding from The PNC Financial Services Group (www.pnc.com), actively supports organizations that provide services for the benefit of communities in which it has a significant presence. The foundation focuses its philanthropic mission on early childhood education and community and economic development, which includes the arts and culture. Through Grow Up Great, its signature cause that began in 2004, PNC has created a bilingual $500 million, multi-year initiative to help prepare children from birth to age 5 for success in school and life. For more information, visit http://www.pncgrowupgreat.com.
About PNC Bank
PNC Bank, National Association, is a member of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: PNC). PNC is one of the largest diversified financial services institutions in the United States, organized around its customers and communities for strong relationships and local delivery of retail and business banking including a full range of lending products; specialized services for corporations and government entities, including corporate banking, real estate finance and asset-based lending; wealth management and asset management. For information about PNC, visit www.pnc.com.
About AdventHealth for Children
AdventHealth for Children is a nationally recognized, destination children’s hospital and network of pediatric specialists, programs and care facilities that sets the standard for innovation, quality, and comprehensive care. The flagship facility in Orlando is the Walt Disney Pavilion, which was designed by Walt Disney Imagineers and features Disney best-practices, theming, characters and activities to make a stay in the hospital more comfortable and less stressful for young patients and their
- Contact: CFD External Communications
- Tel: Call CFD External Communications at407-303-5950
- Email: Email CFD External Communications at[email protected]