ORLANDO, Fla. — AdventHealth will hold a sensory friendly vaccination event for people ages 12 and older with developmental disabilities or any other sensory issues who may find it difficult to be vaccinated in open or crowded public spaces. This could include those with autism, anxiety, ADHD or Down’s syndrome.
The event will be June 3 at AdventHealth Orlando with appointments starting at 10 am Limited appointments are available online.
Eligible parents and siblings may accompany the person with sensory issues and be vaccinated as well, however each person should have an individual registration.
“Many people don’t realize, for kids with sensory issues, common public tasks like going to school or the store can become an overwhelming sensory experience.” said Dr. Emily Forrest, medical director for developmental pediatrics at AdventHealth for Children. “This event could be a game-changer for our families which will enable them to do an important thing, get vaccinated against COVID-19.”
Vaccinations will be conducted in a more private, calming environment and experts from AdventHealth for Children’s Child Life team will be available to comfort and support the families getting vaccinated.
Other important items to note:
- Proof of eligibility is required upon registration.
- Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine requires two doses, and those who receive their first vaccine will be asked schedule their second vaccine appointment for June 24.
- As part of the vaccine process, those receiving the vaccine will be required to stay on-site for at least 15 minutes to ensure there are no adverse reactions. Most reported side effects are mild and include arm soreness, fatigue and headache. AdventHealth will have medical professionals on hand to assist with any reactions.
- Contact: CFD External Communications
- Tel: Call CFD External Communications at407-303-5950
- Email: Email CFD External Communications at[email protected]