The CPE process utilizes verbatim, case studies, and other methods for reporting one’s ministry and pastoral care for self-evaluation and group supervision. The discussions surrounding one’s ministry focus on what is happening with the caregiver, as much as what is happening with the people receiving ministry.
CPE students structured education sessions involve weekly seminars, and supervision which focus on theological, medical, psychological, emotional, interpersonal and group dynamics. These sessions along with the clinical experience and related reading, provide opportunities for challenge, support, caregiving and personal reflection.
In CPE, students enter a pastoral training program of small-group, action-reflection-action learning. Spiritual Care Leadership development is fostered by:
- Personal goal-setting and ongoing reflection within a safe and respectful small group context
- Theological, spiritual and personal reflection
- Facilitated peer dialogue
- Collaboration with doctors, hospital staff and a team approach to patient care
- One-on-one consultation regularly with a CPE Supervisor
- Reflective self and group evaluation process
As a CPE student at AdventHealth, you can expect:
- To be involved in ministry in a wide range of clinical contexts and a diversity of patients, families and staff, while functioning as a part of the multidisciplinary care team
- To be encouraged and challenged to become excellent in pastoral care ministry, to expect more from yourself than you imagine, and to participate in providing effective and meaningful pastoral care for every person, every time
- To learn about yourself as person, as learner, as colleague in the learning process and as a minister to persons in crisis
- To learn about how your strengths and weaknesses, your brokenness and wholeness, your faith and your doubts – inhibit and enhance your spiritual care practice
AdventHealth CPE System Center is accredited by ACPE, Inc. to offer Level 1, Level 2 and Certified Candidate Education, in a challenging and supportive learning environment.