Choose the health content that’s right for you, and get it delivered right in your inbox.
“What’s for dinner?” This is the million-dollar question that echoes through our homes as we near the end of each busy day. Without a plan, it’s easy to fall into the habit of unhealthy, last-minute choices like drive-thru restaurants, take-out and taking advantage of the growing popularity of food delivery services. We might get a quick fix with these methods, but our long-term health will likely suffer.
Especially following weight loss surgery, it’s vital to have an eating plan and to follow it closely so you can get into the habit of living healthy for life. A bariatric diet can help people to heal and to change their eating habits for the better.
Your bariatric care team will talk with you about the diet you'll need to follow after your surgery, including what types of food and how much you can eat at each meal. Sticking to your bariatric diet can help support your healthy weight loss and get you on the path to living your best life that you were created for.
We’re here to help support you along your journey with a grocery shopping list tailored to a post-bariatric surgery diet, once you are cleared by your team to begin eating regular foods.
Post-Bariatric Surgery Grocery List
It might feel overwhelming to know which foods to buy after your operation. We’ve put together a helpful list for you that can make your decisions easier while you get into the swing of a new lifestyle and brand-new you.
- Lean proteins such as chicken, turkey, fish and tofu
- Non-starchy vegetables like leafy greens, tomatoes and bell peppers
- Low-fat dairy products like milk, yogurt and cheese
- Whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice, and whole grain bread and pasta (limit starches and eat in moderation)
- Fruits like berries, apples and bananas
- Nuts and seeds for healthy fats
- Water and other healthy beverages to stay hydrated
Important Tips to Keep You Whole
- Avoid grazing between meals
- Drink 64 ounces of water a day
- Eat slowly and chew your food well
- Focus on nutrient dense food instead of high calorie, low nutrient foods
- Wait 30 minutes before and after a meal to drink liquids
Our whole-health approach to care includes support for body, mind and spirit. We understand that weight loss is about so much more than the physical changes. Your team is here for you as you prepare for this life-changing transformation.
Learn more about our comprehensive bariatric care here.