Discover What DNA Reveals About Your Health
UPDATE: We're excited to announce that WholeMe is evolving and will be closing registrations for new participants on June 30th as we transition into this new phase of our study. Stay tuned to this page for more information!
The more you know about your health, the more empowered you are to take charge of your wellness. A first-of-its-kind genomics research study in Florida, WholeMe screens for hereditary heart conditions and cancer — and reveals 22 fascinating insights about your health and heritage. Reserve your no-cost genetic screening today to get a personalized view of your health.
By participating in WholeMe, in addition to testing your DNA for FH, you will be able to find out about your ancestry traits and other 22 personal genetic traits that will help you get to know you at a whole different level.
- Asparagus Odor Detection
- Bitter Taste
- Caffeine Metabolism
- Cilantro Taste Aversion
- Circadian Rhythm
- Coffee Consumption
- Delayed Sleep
- Earwax Type
- Endurance vs Power
- Exercise Impact on Weight
- Eye Color
- Hair Curl and Texture
- Hand Grip Strength
- Lactose Tolerance
- Sleep Duration
- Sleep Movement
- Sweet Tooth
- Tan vs. Sunburn
- Waist Size
More Health Insights
We're excited to inform you that the AdventHealth WholeMe research study is evolving! In this new chapter, AdventHealth will be partnering with Sema4, a patient-centered health intelligence company, to deliver even more comprehensive DNA test results.
As part of your WholeMe participation and consent, we have completed additional interpretations for other medical conditions, such as additional hereditary heart conditions and hereditary cancers. A full list of conditions tested can be found below.
You'll have access to a care navigator who will assist you with the next steps. If you have a positive result in one of the additional genetic conditions being tested, you may be asked to complete a series of follow-up appointments, including:
- A confirmatory genetic test with Sema4 – a new saliva kit will be sent directly to your home with instructions for providing your sample and mailing it back.
- A genetic counseling session with Sema4 – this can be scheduled directly with Sema4 through their patient portal and is done as a virtual visit.
- An appointment with one of AdventHealth's medical geneticists – a care navigator will assist with scheduling this follow-up appointment.
We recommend creating an AdventHealth account so you can access your results as soon as they are available. You can register for an account here.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the WholeMe Research team at [email protected]
WholeMe Hereditary Conditions
- Hereditary Cancers
- Cardiovascular Conditions
- Metabolic Disorders
WholeMe: Genomics 101
With Genomics, your doctor can truly personalize your health care as well as help prevent, diagnose and treat serious health risks.
In partnership with Helix, a personal genomics company, we are launching a groundbreaking project – WholeMe, the first research study of its kind in Florida.
Participants will learn about traits that may impact their daily life, such as lactose tolerance, caffeine metabolism and sweet tooth. The DNA will also be evaluated for the genes linked to familial hypercholesterolemia, known as FH – a genetic condition that causes high cholesterol. If left untreated, it can lead to a heart attack, even in young adults.
Individuals identified with FH will complete a confirmatory blood test and one session with a genetic counselor. In addition, they will be connected with one of our cardiologists to take preventive measures to benefit their health.
Our researchers hope to show how genomics can be successfully integrated into health care to prevent, diagnose and treat diseases and empower consumers with potential life-saving information about their health.
WholeMe Health Resources
Whether you are seeking to make a change in your health or have been diagnosed with familial hypercholesterolemia (FH), AdventHealth offers a variety of helpful resources to help you get started.
If you have been diagnosed with FH, you can find more resources at the AdventHealth Cardiovascular Institute.
- AdventHealth Medical Fitness Programs
- Bariatric Surgery and Metabolic Medicine
- Dietitian/Nutritional Counseling
- Mental Health
- Smoking Cessation Programs
- Wellness Coaching
Frequently Asked Questions - General
- What is WholeMe?
- Why are we doing this?
- What are we evaluating?
- Who can join the research study?
- What’s familial hypercholesteremia?
- If I have familial hypercholesteremia, will I have a heart attack?
- If I don’t have familial hypercholesteremia, does that mean I will not have a heart attack or stroke?
- If I have FH, do my children need to be tested?
- How long will the research study last?
- Is there any cost to the consumer?
- Can I choose to participate in the research study?
- What if I have general research questions about this research study?
Frequently Asked Questions - Privacy
- If I have FH, can I be kicked off my health insurance, life insurance, or not be approved for either in the future?
- If I have FH, can my children be denied medical or insurance coverage?
- Is this information incorporated into my medical record?
- Who owns my genetic test results?
- Can law enforcement obtain my genetic test results if I participate in this study?
- What is a consent form? Why is it necessary?
- Can I choose to participate in the research study?
- Who has access to my information?
- How is my information protected?
- What if I have more questions about this research study?
- What is HIPAA?
- What does Helix do with the DNA data once the test has concluded?