— AdventHealth North Pinellas has once again maintained safety as its top priority, even during a pandemic, by receiving the highest marks possible for patient safety and quality with a Leapfrog grade “A” from the prestigious Leapfrog Group. The safety grade is awarded based on a hospital’s performance in preventing medical errors, injuries, accidents, infections, and other harm to patients in their care.
“Enhancing patient care is a never-ending march towards perfection, and despite this being our 16th consecutive straight “A” in patient safety, we will continue to strive for excellence,” said Jason Dunkel, President, and CEO for AdventHealth North Pinellas. “This prestigious achievement reflects our team’s constant focus to provide quality care for our patients.”
AdventHealth North Pinellas proactively implemented a set of best safety practices to continue delivering high-quality patient care and remain one of the safest hospitals in the United States:
- The medical team was one of the first in the country to use, Nozin, a nasal sterilizer antiseptic, to reduce the risk of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections. Since its implementation, AdventHealth North Pinellas has gone more than a year without a MRSA case.
- Hospital leaders launched the “safety huddle”, to enhance daily communication between team members. The purpose is to proactively flag safety issues and identify safety concerns for patients. The initiative is proven to reduce medical errors, poor hygiene, and other practices that may be potentially harmful to patients.
- Frontline workers use technology such as bar code medication administration (BCMA) to scan a patient’s wristband and prevent bedside medication errors. The system also connects with their medical record to check vital signs and allergies and call for backup support if needed.
“We are extremely proud of our hospital team members for their unrelenting commitment to providing a safe environment for patients,” said Jennifer Segur, Chief Nursing Officer for AdventHealth North Pinellas. “Even in the midst of a pandemic, our team continues to deliver high-quality care to each patient.”
The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade uses up to 27 measures of publicly available hospital safety data to assign grades to more than 2,700 U.S. acute-care hospitals twice per year. The Hospital Safety Grade’s methodology is peer-reviewed and fully transparent. The results are free to the public. To see grade details on all participating hospitals and access patient tips for staying safe in the hospital, visit hospitalsafetygrade.org and follow The Leapfrog Group on Twitter and Facebook.
About AdventHealth North Pinellas
AdventHealth North Pinellas, located in Tarpon Springs, is a 168-bed, full-service hospital specializing in cardiovascular medicine, emergency medicine, orthopedics and spine care, wound healing, sleep medicine, women’s care, and general surgery including minimally invasive and robotic-assisted procedures. AdventHealth North Pinellas has been nationally recognized by the American Heart Association, the American Stroke Association, The Joint Commission, and The Leapfrog Group, for excellence in providing quality patient care. AdventHealth North Pinellas serves both the Pinellas and Pasco communities of West Central Florida. For more information, visit www.AdventHealthNorthPinellas.com.
About AdventHealth West Florida Division
The West Florida Division of AdventHealth has some of the nation’s brightest medical minds making lifesaving breakthroughs with surgical pioneers, scientists and researchers using leading edge technology and innovation to deliver our brand of whole-person care. Our network of care includes AdventHealth Carrollwood, AdventHealth Connerton, AdventHealth Dade City, AdventHealth Lake Placid, AdventHealth North Pinellas, AdventHealth Ocala, AdventHealth Sebring, AdventHealth Tampa, AdventHealth Wauchula, AdventHealth Wesley Chapel and AdventHealth Zephyrhills, as well as five freestanding offsite Emergency Rooms including AdventHealth Brandon ER, AdventHealth Central Pasco ER, AdventHealth Palm Harbor ER, AdventHealth TimberRidge ER, and AdventHealth Westchase ER. We are more than hospitals, as we have a robust system of care including specialty acute care, over 200 primary care and specialty employed physicians, Express Care at Walgreens clinics, urgent care centers, wound care, physical therapy, home care, mobile mammography and more. AdventHealth is a faith-based not-for-profit health care system with a mission of Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ. AdventHealth has hundreds of care sites and nearly 50 hospitals across the United States. For more information about AdventHealth, visit AdventHealth.com, or Facebook.com/AdventHealth, and for West Florida Division, click here.
- Contact: WFD Corporate Communications
- Tel: Call WFD Corporate Communications at813-803-4016
- Email: Email WFD Corporate Communications at[email protected]