About Palliative Care
- When is the right time for palliative care?
If you or a loved one have a serious illness that’s causing pain, distressing symptoms, reducing the quality of life, or bringing up complex decisions palliative care can help. You can begin palliative care at any stage of disease, whether you’re receiving medical treatment directed at the disease or not. We can help shield you from the burdens of disease or treatment and provide clarity in uncertain situations.
- How is palliative care different from hospice care?
Both palliative and hospice care aim to reduce pain and symptoms of serious illness, but hospice care aims to reduce suffering near the end of life, when you’re no longer receiving treatment aimed at curing disease. Palliative care, on the other hand, can be used at any stage. The goal is to shield you from the burdens of disease and provide comfort to the mind, body and spirit starting at diagnosis. Palliative care is usually provided in the hospital or clinic.
- How can palliative care help?
Palliative care focuses on your physical comfort, as well as your emotional and spiritual well-being. We can provide medicine, counseling and other support to help:
- Clarify health care goals and communicate your values and concerns to your physicians
- Ease pain and other symptoms such as nausea, fatigue, depression and anxiety
- Offer support for family members and caregivers for reducing stress and coping with emotions
- Provide the information and emotional support you and your family need to make complex medical decisions
- Who will be on my palliative care team?
AdventHealth Orlando Palliative Care is provided by physicians, nurses, social workers and other professionals. The team works closely with your other physicians and health care providers to provide an extra layer of support focused solely on improving your quality of life.
Meet Our Team
For Physicians Seeking Specialized Training
About the Program
As leaders in healthcare, AdventHealth is committed to sharing our high level of expertise with future Palliative Care providers. We want to help providers excel in delivering compassionate, patient and family-centered hospice and palliative care. That’s why the AdventHealth Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship offers the opportunity for you to collaborate with leaders in healthcare to provide care to patients of all ages and disease stages, considering most advanced medical options.
As an AdventHealth Hospice and Palliative Care fellow, physicians will be trained to provide the highest standard of care for each patient’s physical, emotional and spiritual needs. During this year-long fellowship, you’ll work with physicians who are respected leaders in advanced illness management, including:
- Advanced heart failure transplant and LVAD
- Organ transplant
- Coordinated care for kids
- Critical care medicine and neurocritical care
The AdventHealth Orlando family — which includes the large AdventHealth Orlando Hospital campus and AdventHealth Hospice — serves a socially and culturally diverse population.