With Compassionate Hospice Care at AdventHealth Palm Coast
Every memory you make with your loved one is always going to be special. But in these days, each moment will be unforgettable. We’re honored to guide you through this most difficult time. At AdventHealth Palm Coast, formerly Florida Hospital Flagler, our Hospice Care team is dedicated to helping you and your loved one take a final journey together with grace and dignity. Much more than pain management, we offer a range of hospice services, and we’re committed to educating you, creating a peaceful environment, and delivering care with a gentle touch. Know that you can lean on us. We're here to support you.
Whenever You Need It
- When to Begin Hospice Care
Aging is a natural part of life. But it creates new challenges. You might have noticed that it’s harder for your loved one to manage on their own. Or maybe they’re facing several new diagnoses all at once. Whatever their condition, AdventHealth Palm Coast, formerly Florida Hospital Flagler, is here to support you, your loved one, and your family with compassionate Hospice Care. We’ll work with you directly, helping you figure out if hospice is the right step for your loved one. Signs it might be time for hospice care include:
- A Decline in Physical and Mental Status
- Difficulty Swallowing or Breathing
- Difficulty With Most Daily Activities
- Frequent Hospitalizations or Emergency Room Visits
- Multiple Medical Problems or Diagnoses
- Profound Weakness or Fatigue
- Recurrent Edema/Swelling
- Repeat Infections, Like Pneumonia, Bronchitis, or Urinary Tract Infections
- Shortness of Breath or Chest Pain
- Steady Weight Loss
- Uncontrolled Pain or Vomiting
- Weakness and Fatigue
Throughout this time, our Hospice Care team is here to provide emotional support and spiritual guidance. You and your loved one will never be alone.
Request an Appointment with our Hospice Care team for a free consultation.
- Find the Support You Need When the Time Is Right for Hospice Care
Your loved one appreciates how much you’ve done for them. You’ve been a companion, a caretaker, and a source of unconditional love. But taking care of them can take a toll on you. Whenever the time is right, we’re here to offer a supportive hand. Our compassionate team will help you know when your loved one needs Hospice Care, guiding you through every step and comforting you at every turn. You know them best, so we’ll work closely with you, along with their primary doctor, our specialized hospice staff, and bereavement counselors. To help you plan for the days ahead, our hospice services include:
- 24-Hour On-Call Medical Staff and Nurse Support
- Advanced Care Planning
- Caregiver Support
- Educational Resources
- Grief Support
- Inpatient Unit and Services
- Medication, Supplies, and Medical Equipment
- Pain Management
To help your loved one make new memories, we also offer comforting pet therapy. They'll also be able to preserve the memories that matter most to them with our Life Legacies program. Our hospice services are also designed to support your emotional and spiritual well-being. From offering compassionate guidance to providing you with education and support, we’re always here for you.
- Whole-Person Care for Your Whole Family
You’ve loved them so intensely and shared so many cherished memories. They’re still the same person, no matter what. We want to help you make these moments count. Our hospice nurses combine tireless compassion with spiritual guidance to support, instruct, and care for you, your loved one, and your family throughout this tender time. We’ll do everything we can to make your loved one’s surroundings more comfortable, whether they’re spending this time at home, at our inpatient unit, or in a nursing home. We’ll help you find the beauty in each day.
- Volunteer Services
Our volunteers are the heart of the AdventHealth Hospice Care and Palliative Care teams. These volunteers come from all walks of life. They are former professionals, school teachers, secretaries, homemakers, business executives and accountants.
Because our volunteers spend time in patients’ and families’ homes, we implement a thorough application and interview process to assure the volunteer is right for this type of work. In addition, AdventHealth Hospice Care has an organized training program for its patient-care volunteers that includes understanding hospice, confidentiality, working with families, listening skills, signs and symptoms of approaching death, loss and grief, and bereavement support.
All volunteers also must successfully pass a background check and have medical clearance, and pass the Hospice Care Volunteer Training Certification program.
Volunteers are priceless resources who provide patients and families a wide array of services, including:
- Respite — Volunteers run errands, stay with a patient to give family members a break, prepare light meals or help with housework.
- Support — Volunteers enhance the quality of life for patients and their families in their homes or in one of the AdventHealth Hospice Care inpatient units. They provide companionship, a listening ear and practical assistance, as well as by sharing hobbies, reading to patients and offering emotional support.
- Vigil Presence — Volunteers help patients and family members to not feel alone on their journey. Throughout an illness, and when the patient is passing, it can be a comfort to have someone to sit in vigil quietly at the bedside, to hold a hand, or whisper words of comfort. Volunteers can help create a peaceful atmosphere for families, share stories about their loved one or help them say goodbye.
- Inpatient Unit — Volunteers offer comfort and care to patients and assistance to Hospice Care staff at the inpatient locations of the AdventHealth Hospice Care inpatient facilities.
Friends With Flowers
With flowers donated from a local floral wholesaler and area florists, Hospice Care volunteers create small arrangements for our in-patient units, Stuart F. Meyer Hospice House and nursing home facilities. These arrangements help to brighten our patients’ rooms and their days!
Life legacies allow a patient to record their life stories to share with future generations. Life legacies is another complementary service provided HospiceCare.
Unique to AdventHealth Hospice Care, HospoochCare and HospussCare provide patients with a visit by our Pet Partners team. This program brings volunteers and their trained therapy animals to patients to help reduce isolation, stimulate communication and improve emotional and social health.
Pet Peace of Mind
The Pet Peace of Mind program is designed to help AdventHealth Hospice Care patients and their pets while they are receiving Hospice Care services. Hospice Care knows that pets who share our lives are family. Patients may not have an opportunity to find a friend or family member who can care for their pets when they go into a hospital or hospice unit. Pet Peace of Mind volunteers may assist with food, litter and the basic veterinary care that patients desperately need for their pets. This may include:
- Basic in-home care.
- Dog walking.
- Pet waste clean-up.
- Flea/tick treatment delivery.
- Transportation to veterinary care or groomers.
- Financial assistance with routine care.
Contact our Pet Peace of Mind coordinator at 866-582-6731 for more information.
Tending to All the Details
This is a time to focus on the people you love. Not logistics. Our multidisciplinary team is here to help you and your family make the most of this time together. We can tend to the little things, like filling prescriptions and coordinating care, while you focus on what really matters: spending quality time together. Count on us to treat you with dignity, comfort your loved ones, and provide everyone with the most compassionate and uplifting spiritual support.