Rehab Therapy Tailored To You
The rehabilitation team at AdventHealth Heart of Florida, formerly Heart of Florida Regional Medical Center, is dedicated to helping you rebuild your life after you’ve experienced an illness or injury.
Our experienced team of therapists – including occupational, speech and physical therapists – are here to support you and your family on your road to recovery.
Therapy To Meet Your Needs
Our professional rehab team includes occupational, speech and physical therapists. We complete a comprehensive assessment to develop a treatment plan specifically for you.
AdventHealth Heart of Florida, formerly Heart of Florida Regional Medical Center, our rehab team combines today’s latest technology and equipment with our progressive treatment approach to help you reach your rehab goals more quickly and safely.
We also offer individualized home programs and flexible scheduling.
- Physical Therapy
Whether you are recovering from a broken bone, muscle injury or surgery, regaining mobility, strength, flexibility and endurance are a key part of your recovery. We know that each person has different goals and expectations in recovery, so our physical rehabilitation specialists provide a customized plan that incorporates your unique goals and abilities. Your physical therapist will provide:
- Education about your condition or injury
- Motivation, support and assistance
- Therapies and exercises tailored to your needs
Our AdventHealth Heart of Florida physical therapy team includes knowledgeable, caring professionals who are dedicated to providing quality care and support, and helping you return to the activities you enjoy as quickly as possible. We are proud to offer the latest in technologies, including an underwater treadmill and an anti-gravity treadmill.
- Occupational Therapy
Occupational therapy is designed to help patients with temporary or permanent loss of function regain independence and quality of life.
Occupational therapists specialize in caring for those with physical, developmental or emotional challenges by helping them improve their ability to perform daily activities, as well as recommend ways for patients to adapt their environment to enhance independence. Occupational therapists can assist individuals with a wide variety of everyday activities, such as:
- Getting dressed
- Getting in and out of the car
- Running errands
- Using a computer
AdventHealth Heart of Florida rehabilitation team includes occupational therapists that provide a full range of services, including:
- Activities to improve visual perceptual motor skills
- Activities to sharpen sensory motor processing
- Assessment of cognitive and physical abilities
- Evaluations to determine the ability to return to work
- Goal setting and planning to overcome challenges
- Personalized exercises
- Recommendations for task modifications
- Recommendations for use of assistive devices
- Regular progress assessments, with needed adjustments
- Wheelchair evaluations
Our occupational therapists work closely with you and your family members to develop a care plan to meet your unique needs. We also take the time to ensure that caregivers are well prepared to support patients in their recovery. Our occupational therapists work with community organizations and outreach programs to help coordinate appropriate care plans whenever necessary.
- Speech Therapy
A speech therapist – also known as speech-language pathologist – will evaluate, diagnose and treat a patient with a wide variety of conditions that affect oral motor skills, swallowing, and speech and language abilities. Our speech therapists work closely with neurologists, ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctors and other specialists to thoroughly evaluate patients and treat a variety of conditions, including:
- Cognitive communication disorders, including memory and problem-solving difficulties
- Language disorders, such as aphasia
- Lisping or stuttering
- Motor speech disorders, including dysarthria and apraxia
- Speech conditions resulting from Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis
- Swallowing disorders, such as dysphagia
- Voice disorders, including dysphonia
Your speech therapist will provide education, support and treatment strategies to improve communication and swallowing, utilizing a range of treatment options such as:
- Cognitive retraining, following stroke or other neurological impairment
- Customized exercises designed to strengthen muscles used in speaking or swallowing
- Diet modifications
- Recommendations and training for communication devices
We understand that your speech challenges are unique to you. That’s why your speech therapist will provide customized treatment plans to address your challenges and offer valuable information and encouragement to support the goals we set with you.