AWHONN Fetal Monitoring Instructor Trainer Course
About this Event
AWHONN Intermediate Instructor Course (7thed)
Date: June 20, 2023
Instructor Trainer: Paula Meek BSN, RNC-OB, C-EFM
Instructor ID 36673909
Course ID 000I2233887
Pre-Registration Required by 2 weeks prior to course
SEATING IS LIMITED
AdventHealth Daytona Beach
301 Memorial Medical Parkway
4th floor Classroom
Daytona Beach, Florida 32127
Disclosure: Paula Meek discloses no significant financial relationships related to this topic
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This 1-day Instructor Trainer led course (5.75 continuing education hours) presents principles and application of adult learning theory as applicable for teaching the Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course. This course, revised in 2022, is the first step for individuals who wish to be approved as AWHONN FHM Program Instructors. Participants discuss the role and responsibilities of the instructor, workshop administrative procedures, and basis for workshop content development. Each participant also will be required to present a pre-assigned segment of the Intermediate Course during the course.
Supporting Resource: The text entitled “Fetal Heart Monitoring Principles & Practices” is the reference for course preparation.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES: Upon completion of this course, the participant should be able to:
· Apply adult learning/teaching principles to the Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course
· Demonstrate entry level proficiency in teaching selected segments of Intermediate Course (lecture & skill stations)
· Manage classroom issues & formulate problem-solving techniques
· Identify administrative responsibilities, policies & procedures of the Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course
· Demonstrate navigation of AWHONN web site for administrative functions
Criteria for participation in AWHONN's FHM Instructor Course are:
· Maintain current FULL AWHONN membership (electronic membership will not suffice)
· Complete the AWHONN Verification Form for the Instructor Candidate Qualifications, the Instructor Responsibilities form for the Fetal Monitoring Education Programs, and the Biographical Data Form
· Document active licensure as a registered nurse or physician
· Document a minimum of two years recent experience in intrapartum fetal monitoring
· Document current clinical involvement in fetal heart monitoring as a staff nurse, physician, manager, clinical nurse specialist, advanced practice registered nurse, certified midwife or with inclusion of responsibilities for direct assessment of intrapartum EFM clinical skills of others
· Maintain professional development in intrapartum, antepartum, high-risk and FHM through attendance at relevant continuing education activities
· Submit evidence of successful completion of the Intermediate Course (Advanced does not fulfill this requirement) within three years of the Intermediate Instructor Course. The application must include documentation of knowledge validation, course date, and workshop number for the Intermediate Course.
· Complete the Conflict of Interest, Licensing Agreement and Financial Declaration Statements
Participants in the Intermediate Instructor Course must successfully complete an Intermediate Course Teach-back observed by an Instructor Trainer or Designated Instructor within 1 year of their completion of the Instructor Course. Upon successful completion of the teach-back, the Candidate becomes an Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course Instructor, eligible to teach the Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course. It is the responsibility of the instructor candidate to arrange for an evaluation of the first workshop taught. The evaluator can serve as an additional instructor for the workshop.
COST: $200.00 — Registration fee.
· The Required Instructor Manual with Student Packet ($225.00) must be purchased by each participant & must be purchased at least 15 days and in hand prior to the course. This is the responsibility of each participant.
· Instructions for attaining these materials will be provided when registration is confirmed.
· Please note: Fees and your AWHONN membership number will be required upon registration. Partial refund (less $50.00 administrative fee) will be provided for cancellations received in writing 2 weeks prior to course date. No cancellations or refunds after this date.
NEXT STEPS AFTER COMPLETION ON ATTENDING THE FHM INSTRUCTOR COURSE
· Purchase the Intermediate Instructor Teaching Materials 7th Edition. 978-1-7924-8824-5 (Cost $495.00)
· Complete a Teach back by teaching 25% of an Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Class within 1 year of attending the FHM Instructor Course.
· Obtain NCC certification by 5/31/2023. Visit Index National Certification Corporation (nccwebsite.org) for more information.
“The Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal, Nurses is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.”
AWHONN is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP580.
- Email: [email protected]